Monday, July 9, 2012

FEAR GOD?

To fear the LORD is to hate evil... Proverbs 8:13

I remember when I first gave my life to Christ at age 19, I found a small pentecostal church to attend.  The Pastor often preached on the fear of the LORD but I never understood what it meant.  How could I fear or be afraid of, something, no someone so magnificent?  God had radically changed my life forever. He had revived my soul; awakened something in me that I had never experienced before.  Shown me a love that was indescribable.  How could I fear that?

It wasn't until years later that I discovered through The Word what it actually means.  To fear the LORD is to hate evil.  That's it!  To fear the LORD means to hate the things that are not of Him.  To hate sin, hate pride and arrogance, hate evil behavior and perverse speech. 

You see, God wants us to represent Him to a dying and hurting world so that others can come into relationship with Him.  To fear the LORD simply means to hate the things that He hates by living a life that He loves.  It means to be so in awe of the one who created you and to display his splendor through the life that you live; to live in awe of the one who created the universe and all of its majesty and beauty.  It really is that simple.




Proverbs 9:10 says The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.   So when we fear the LORD by hating evil, we gain wisdom.  When we gain knowledge of the Holy One by spending time with him, we gain understanding.  Who doesn't want wisdom and understanding?  With them we are better parents, better spouses and better friends. We are better people.  With them we make better decisions and soon discover there are less negative conseqences for our actions. With wisdom and understanding we come to a greater knowledge of who Christ is and in turn become more like Him ourselves. 

To fear the LORD is to hate evil and is the beginning of wisdom. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by

 
Premade Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio